Isn’t that really what camping is all about? Freedom to escape the mundane of every day; freedom to explore the places less traveled; and freedom to disconnect from all the things that stress us out. The freedom to do it in comfort or stay off-grid for as long as you want.
This is what’s driven Blue Tongue’s latest innovation in hybrid caravans. Built with the versatility and off-road capability of a camper trailer but with all the inherent comforts of a caravan, the Hybrid Caravan XH15 represents complete freedom. It’ll take you anywhere, keep you comfortable while you’re there, and bring you right back out again. Again and again and again …
What’s key to the XH15? Blue Tongue’s commonsense design, practical features and top-quality components. This isn’t a camper that does flashy for the sake of being flashy, but one that understands the limits of a 15-feet long hybrid caravan and makes the most of every inch. It has an electrically-operated pop-top roof, fold-out extended bed, and everything you need to camp self-sufficiently and fully-contained for as long as you want.
It starts with an all-weather kitchen that can be used anywhere anytime. Set into the passenger side wall of the hybrid caravan, the kitchen is always ready. It doesn’t need to be set up, slid out, unfolded or assembled. It’s just there, waiting. If you need to make a quick stop while barrelling west along the black-top, you can simply lift the door and make a coffee. If it’s raining, no problem – the top-hinged door provides instant shelter. If your boots are deep in thick red dirt and you find an oasis for lunch, there’s nothing more relaxing than knocking a meal together under the shade of a boab, pandanus or melaleuca (actually, the type of tree doesn’t matter).
The XH15 kitchen features a tall deep pantry, a pair of generous overhead cupboards, and inbuilt Smev stainless steel three-burner stove and fold-out countertop. Plus, there are two more large drawers under the kitchen that slide on stainless runners and are accessible even when the kitchen is closed. The sink is plumbed with hot and cold water, and the cooking area has LED lighting designed to eliminate any shadows. The caravan’s fridge slide is located forward of the kitchen. It is almost a metre long and a half-metre wide and easily fits the latest 95-litre Dometic CFX395 dual-zone fridge or Mycoolman 96L. The XH15 has everything you need, and more than enough storage, to eat well wherever you end up camping.
The kitchen’s location ‘outside” the hybrid caravan, encourages outdoor living rather than hiding away inside after the sun does down. The roll-out awning is simple to use and goes up or down in an instant. If you need to extend your living space, a full set of canvas walls is included that slips easily into place along sail-track runners. Plus, there is enough light under the awning to read well past sunset, and there is no need to go inside to grab another drink when you’re sitting around the fire.
Whether you’re travelling as a couple or a family, storage is comprehensive throughout the XH15 hybrid caravan. There are 11 large drawers and two full-height cupboards surrounding the master bed; another two large drawers beneath the internal sink; and more compartments under the bed-base. With a place for everything, keeping organised is easy.
You’ll never have to move from a campsite due to lack of power. The Blue Tongue XH15 hybrid caravn is fitted with three 100Ah gel batteries supplemented by 360-watt slimline, lightweight roof solar panels. All the lights are energy-efficient LEDs, and there’s a generator slide at the front of the van if you want the flexibility to power anything. Even without a generator, the 2000-watt, 240-volt inverter will run a coffee machine each morning, so this isn’t a caravan you need to ‘rough it’ in.
Rough places are where the XH15 Hybrid Caravan is destined to go. For all the comfort and convenience, this is a dedicated off-road caravan that is ready for anything. It’s built on a heavy-duty, galvanised steel chassis with off-road, independent coil spring suspension and dual shock absorbers on each side. The XH15 comes fitted with 275/75 R16 mud terrain tyres with two spares on the back. Thanks to the strong and lightweight aluminium body frame and floor and wall panels, the whole van weighs no more than a standard steel-bodied camper trailer. The XH15 is light enough to take anywhere. With a 600kg payload capacity, you can be confident in packing everything you need to camp for a long time and a good time.
Any way you look at it, the Blue Tongue XH15 is a clever, strong and capable off-road, hybrid caravan. With the XH15 in tow, you’ll have the ability to travel anywhere in Australia, making the most of the best campsites in the most remote areas. You’ll be able to camp self-contained and self-sufficiently for as long as you like, confident in the fact you’ve got everything you need to be comfortable, relaxed and well equipped. That’s freedom.
- Body size 4780 x 2040W x 2140H (Closed) 2750H (Open)
- Overall size 6450Lx 2220Wx 2365H
- TARE weight 2100 kg
- ATM 2700 kg
- ALKO 3500kg off-road coupling
- Coil spring independent suspension
- Heavy-duty off-road dual shock absorbers
- Heavy-duty off-road chassis
- Hot-dipped galvanised chassis
- Aluminium body frame and panels
- 4 x drop-down stabiliser legs
- Heavy-duty dual-wheel jockey wheel
- Windows with mesh blinds/block-out screens
- Loads of internal and external storage
- Holders for 2x jerrycans and 2x 4kg gas bottles
- Slide out generator storage 710Lx 490Wx 660H
- 2x rear mounted spare wheels
- Roll out awning with enclosed walls and floor
- Electric pop top roof
- 150L water tank
- 130L grey water tank
- Internal and external sink
- Tap on draw bar
- 1100x650w shower toilet room
- Thetford toilet
- Internal exhaust fan to internal shower
- External shower with tent
- 360W roof-mounted monocrystalline cell solar panel
- 240V power inlet and a quality Victron 240V charger (lithium ready)
- 240V power outlets
- 2000W inverter
- 3x 12V gel 100Ah deep cycle batteries
- 3x strips of built-in LED lights
- USB outlets
- Adjustable height, rotatable table
- Cushioned upholstered dining area
- Undercover outdoor built-in kitchen with 3-burner Smev cooktop
- Stainless steel kitchen sink with electric pumped hot and cold water
- Kitchen lighting
- Cutlery drawer
- Fridge compartment 975Lx 555Wx 650H
- Main – queen bed
- Single bunks x2 – 1800 x 650mm and converted lounge 1600 x 800mm
Heating and air conditioning
- Reverse cycle under-bunk air conditioning
- Truma Ultrarapid 240V and gas hot water system
- DVD stereo system with bluetooth/USB/AUX/iPhone connectivity
- 24” LCD HD TV
- Digital TV antenna
For complete specifications download the Blue Tongue Campers Hybrid Caravan XH brochure.
Check out a review by Brendan Batty click here